Auditing in Aviation
3-day course | Classroom & In-company training, or Virtual training
- Covers the basic principles of aviation auditing
- Learn how to plan and conduct an audit
- Develop the skills to perform as an effective auditor
|Start Date||End Date||Venue||Price (Excl. VAT)||Availability||Book|
|27/02/2024||29/02/2024||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|23/04/2024||25/04/2024||Online||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|04/06/2024||06/06/2024||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|17/09/2024||19/09/2024||Online||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|12/11/2024||14/11/2024||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|04/02/2025||06/02/2025||Online||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
What is Auditing in Aviation?
Auditing in aviation refers to the process of evaluating and verifying compliance with regulatory requirements, safety standards, operational procedures, and industry best practices within the aviation industry. Audits are conducted by regulatory authorities, independent auditing organisations, or internal audit teams to assess the safety, security, and efficiency of aviation operations, organisations, and systems.
The course is aimed at those with an interest or background in aviation auditing. It covers the basic principles of aviation auditing.
The course is practical in its delivery style, with exercises, and workshops. Delivered over three days, the course will include effective auditing principles, audit planning, conduct and follow up activity. The course will reference International Aviation safety standards and best practice, as well as pertinent EU Regulation. In doing so, the course is proportionate and therefore also suitable, for delegates that have a wider interest in audit techniques.
The course includes auditing best practice and will provide an understanding of the audit cycle, practical skills, and techniques for conducting aviation audits and for ensuring that the audits will enhance safety and organisational effectiveness. It will look at the complete audit cycle from initial planning to final closure and include discussion on the practicalities with respect to the handling of audit findings.
This course is interactive involving exercises and role play to enhance the key learning points.
This course is suitable for individuals with little or no audit experience, that wish to improve their knowledge, as well as delegates employed in the aviation industry that wish to improve their understanding of basic auditing principles.
This training course will include the following topics:
- Principles of auditing – To introduce & explain the importance of effective audit technique
- The Audit Process (Planning, Preparation, Conduct & Follow Up)
- Developing the skills and awareness to perform as an effective auditor
- Management of audit challenges (including the handling of difficult conversations)
- Human Factors Considerations
- Audit closure
- Managing non-compliance/conformity
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to, with the aid of practical exercises and group discussion demonstrate an understanding of the following elements:
- Audit Planning
- The role of the Auditor
- Different types of audits
- Developing an Audit Plan
- Audit procedures
- Developing a programme for an audit
- Leading an opening meeting
- Performing an audit and documenting findings
- Leading a closing meeting
- Developing written audit reports
- Managing challenges associated with the closure of audit findings
- Oversight and Enforcement aspects
By the end of the course, Delegates will gain an understanding of the principles that apply to performing a basic audit, as well as those that apply to being an effective audit team member.
A background in aviation would be an advantage, the course starts from first principles of auditing so is suitable for anyone with an interest in auditing.
Meet your Instructors
AOC Accountable Manager and Nominated Person
Introduction to International Air Law
Captain Richard Miller has over 30 years of experience in the aviation industry in both an operational and regulatory environment. His airline experience includes UK and Overseas based organisations on a range of aircraft, including Airbus and Boeing types. While working for the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority (UK CAA); Captain Miller’s responsibilities have included the safety oversight of large and small air transport organisations as well as a ‘Seconded National Expert’ in the European aviation system. In his current role, Captain Richard Miller’s responsibilities include the provision of a wide range of specialist advice and training in an International operational environment.
Safety Management Systems - Introduction
Safety Management Systems - Small Organisations
Safety Management Systems for Small Organisations - Blended Training Course
Safety Management Systems - Principles and Applications
Safety Management Systems - Principles and Applications (MAvA)
Safety Management (Advanced) - Evaluating Effectiveness
Safety Management Systems Refresher Training
Advanced Safety Management Systems - Evaluating for Effectiveness - Virtual (Asia Region)
Root Cause Analysis
Graham has over 38 years’ experience working in the Aviation industry, in areas of aircraft maintenance, production and quality oversight. He is a qualified aircraft maintenance engineer and lead quality auditor, spending several years overseeing the build of Boeing Aircraft in Seattle. Graham has been working for the UK CAA for the last 18 years as an Airworthiness Surveyor and in several managerial technical roles supporting the regulatory oversight of aviation and the UK CAA as a competent authority. He is now using his experience to help the development and sustainability of aviation safety globally.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
The course is supported with pre-course documentation.
Other courses you might be interested in
Root Cause Investigation and Analysis
An interactive virtual workshop, designed for those who need to manage, undertake or understand how to conduct effective Root Cause investigation and analysis. The course will provide an overview of the regulatory framework and frequently used root cause analysis techniques.