Security Management Systems (SeMS)
2-day course | London Gatwick & In-company
- Designed and delivered by UK CAA Aviation Security experts
- Learn to develop and maintain an effective SeMS
- Apply SeMS and it’s principles to your organisation
What is a Security Management System?
“A Security Management System (SeMS) is there to proactively develop and maintain an effective oversight and quality assurance process within your organisation. It is about taking a systemic approach to managing security risks, in ways which serve to instil security in the routine daily activities of an organisation and indeed its very culture.” Peter Drissell, Director of Aviation Security at the UK CAA.
This course provides the fundamentals of how to develop and maintain an effective Security Management System concept developed by the UK CAA.
A Security Management System will allow:
- Security risks to be managed at the right level, overseen by company boards;
- Activities to be measured to provide management information on security performance;
- People within an organisation who are accountable for maintaining rigorous security standards to have access to sufficient and reliable performance data; and
- A culture that promotes high-security standards throughout the company.
A SeMS achieves this by providing an organised, systematic approach to managing security which embeds security management into the day-to-day activities of the organisation and its people.
- Civil Aviation Authorities and appropriate Government bodies
- Security Compliance Managers
- Cargo Security Managers & Site Security Representatives
- IFS Company and Site Security Managers
- Accountable Managers
- Security Consultants
- Training Managers
- Security Managers in aviation or other related industries
This training course will include the following topics:
- Introduction to Security Management Systems
- Management Commitment
- Threat and Risk Management
- Accountability and Responsibilities
- Performance Monitoring, Assessment and Reporting
- Incident Response
- Management of Change
- Continuous Improvement
- SeMS Education
- How to implement a Security Management System
By the end of this course delegates will demonstrate an understanding of the following through presentation and interactive discussion:
- SeMS and how to apply its principles in the work environment
- The value of an organisation having SeMS in place
- The importance of a positive culture and management commitment
- The need for risk and threat identification
- Effective performance assurance
Basic understanding of aviation security terminology / processes.
ICAO Annex 17: Safeguarding international civil aviation against acts of unlawful interference
Of critical importance to the future of civil aviation and to the international community at large are the measures taken by ICAO to prevent and suppress all acts of unlawful interference against civil aviation throughout the world. SARPs for international aviation security were first adopted by the ICAO Council in March 1974, and designated as Annex 17 to the Chicago Convention.
Promoting and supporting the introduction of Security Management Systems (SeMS) across the industry
The UK CAA and Department for Transport have jointly published two SeMS guidance documents; a SeMS Framework and a separate note for Accountable Managers. This guidance sets out how organisations in the aviation sector should develop their security management systems.
What the expert says
Review of course
|Course Type||Course Name||Start Date||End Date||Venue||Cost||Availability||Book|
|Class||Security Management Systems (SeMS)||17/02/2020||18/02/2020||London Gatwick||£820.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Class||Security Management Systems (SeMS)||06/05/2020||07/05/2020||London Gatwick||£820.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Class||Security Management Systems (SeMS)||07/09/2020||08/09/2020||London Gatwick||£820.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Class||Security Management Systems (SeMS)||02/12/2020||03/12/2020||London Gatwick||£820.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Class||Security Management Systems (SeMS)||17/02/2021||18/02/2021||London Gatwick||£820.00||More than 5 places||Book|
Security Management Systems (SeMS) Instructors
Adam has started working for the UK CAA in 2014 as a security compliance auditor. He is currently part of the UK CAA Security Management System (SeMS) leadership team. He has been participating in the continued roll out of the SeMS in the UK and a performance-based oversight approach for the UK CAA. Adam has also taken great part in writing the SeMS specific training and Aviation Security training. He has been delivering security trainings in the UK and internationally.
Kirsty has 14 years of experience working in the Aviation Industry, namely within Aviation Security, Business Resilience and Emergency Planning. Kirsty joined the UK CAA in 2015 as the Security Management Systems (SeMS) Aviation Security Manager and more recently the senior role of SeMS Programme Lead. She has been leading the UK CAA development and progress of SeMS since that time, collaboratively working with both Industry and International partners. Kirsty has been participating in the continued roll out of SeMS in the UK, looking at the area of a Performance-Based Oversight approach for the UK CAA. Kirsty has played a key role in the development of the SeMS training, delivering this both within the UK and Internationally.