Introduction to Security Culture
2-day course | Virtual, Classroom & In-company Delivery
- Classroom courses in London Gatwick
- ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS and City & Guilds Assured course
- Designed and delivered by UK CAA Aviation Security experts
- Provides a comprehensive understanding of security culture benefits
- Provides practical tools and techniques for assessing and improving security culture
What is Security Culture?
Security culture is a set of norms, beliefs, values, attitudes and assumptions that are inherent in the daily operation of an organisation and are reflected by the actions and behaviours of all entities and personnel within the organisation. Security should be everyone’s responsibility – from the ground up. An effective security culture is about: recognising that effective security is critical to business success; establishing an appreciation of positive security practices among employees; aligning security to core business goals; and articulating security as a core value rather than as an obligation or a burdensome expense.
In support of ICAO’s Year of Security Culture, this ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS course gives delegates an understanding of what a security culture is, what the benefits of a security culture are and how it can be embedded. An active learning approach is taken by examining the experience of creating a safety culture in aviation and what security practitioners can learn from this. Delegates will also be given tools and techniques to measure current security culture in their organisations.
This course is suitable for individuals at a supervisory/management level engaged in aviation security around the world, from National Aviation Authorities, government and industry.
- Delegates will learn about the importance of security culture by examining previous aviation security incidents in order to give real, practical understanding of why a positive security culture is important.
- Delegates will discuss the elements that make up a security culture and explore how the extensive work that has been done in the aviation safety sphere can benefit aviation security.
- The course will provide delegates with practical tools to both benchmark current security culture within their organisations and techniques and best practices for enhancing and maintaining a positive security culture.
On completing the course, delegates will demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- What a security culture is and how it fits into wider organisational aims and objectives.
- The lessons that can be learnt from safety and how these can be applied to security.
- The practices, tools and techniques that can foster a positive security culture.
- How security culture can be measured.
- The role an effective security culture plays in mitigating risks.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
City & Guilds is a household brand and a global leader in skills development. Over one million people earn a City & Guilds qualification every year, providing them with the skills they need to thrive in the workplace.
Assured status on a training programme provides validation and recognition for both the training provider and the learner, it is a symbol of learning excellence and quality and is reassurance that the training undertaken meets best practice standards.
Delegates who successfully complete an assured programme will get a City & Guilds certificate. This demonstrates that the person has completed and been successful in training to a specific standard. The City and Guilds brand is recognised worldwide too, so an assured certificate has value in any country.
Basically, ‘assured’ is a quality stamp that says “yes”, this programme meets the high standards of City & Guilds, and that they are happy to certificate it.
This course can delivered virtually or face-to-face in classroom at our London Gatwick training centre.
Browse the table below to select your preferred date, delivery method and location (classroom only). If you can not find your preferred form of delivery and date, please contact us.
- Web = Virtual online delivery using WebEx video conferencing. We have applied a 5% discount to all our virtual course deliveries. Unless stated otherwise, our virtual courses are streamed live, starting at 09:00 am (UK time).
- Class = A face-to-face classroom course delivered in the location listed in the “venue” column. In light of COVID-19, please check your eligibility and our COVID-19 measures.
What the expert says
Review of course
Introduction to Security Culture Instructors
Managing Insider Risks
Threat Image Projection – Implementation and Analysis
Introduction to Security Culture
CAA Operational Recovery during a Pandemic
Kevin has 18 years of experience working in regulatory roles in the transport sector. Kevin has been working for the UK CAA since 2014, primarily in Aviation Security regulation but also in General Aviation and most recently as aviation security lead in CAAi. Prior to joining the UK CAA, Kevin spent 12 years with the Department for Transport in a variety of security-related roles ranging from compliance, policy, strategy and head of personnel security and vetting. Kevin has significant experience of working on a number of high-profile security events and policies both domestically and internationally with a focus on risk management. Kevin has an MSc in Risk, Crisis and Disaster Management.