Introduction to Security Culture
2-day course | Classroom, Virtual & In-company training
- ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS course
- Designed and delivered by UK CAA Aviation Security experts
- Understand the benefits of security culture
- Master the practical tools and techniques for assessing and improving security culture
What is Security Culture?
Security culture is a set of norms, beliefs, values, attitudes and assumptions that are inherent in the daily operation of an organisation and are reflected by the actions and behaviours of all entities and personnel within the organisation. Security should be everyone’s responsibility – from the ground up. An effective security culture is about: recognising that effective security is critical to business success; establishing an appreciation of positive security practices among employees; aligning security to core business goals; and articulating security as a core value rather than as an obligation or a burdensome expense.
In support of ICAO’s Year of Security Culture, this ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS course gives delegates an understanding of what a security culture is, what the benefits of a security culture are and how it can be embedded. An active learning approach is taken by examining the experience of creating a safety culture in aviation and what security practitioners can learn from this. Delegates will also be given tools and techniques to measure current security culture in their organisations.
This course is suitable for individuals at a supervisory/management level engaged in aviation security around the world, from National Aviation Authorities, government and industry.
- Delegates will learn about the importance of security culture by examining previous aviation security incidents in order to give real, practical understanding of why a positive security culture is important.
- Delegates will discuss the elements that make up a security culture and explore how the extensive work that has been done in the aviation safety sphere can benefit aviation security.
- The course will provide delegates with practical tools to both benchmark current security culture within their organisations and techniques and best practices for enhancing and maintaining a positive security culture.
On completing the course, delegates will demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- What a security culture is and how it fits into wider organisational aims and objectives.
- The lessons that can be learnt from safety and how these can be applied to security.
- The practices, tools and techniques that can foster a positive security culture.
- How security culture can be measured.
- The role an effective security culture plays in mitigating risks.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Meet your Instructors
Dorota Broom joined CAA International in June 2022 as Technical Advisor for Aviation Security. She is a DfT certified Aviation Security Instructor with 16 years’ experience in the industry. Dorota believes passionately that sharing the understanding of Human Factors and promoting Security Culture can improve the standard of aviation security worldwide. She has lived and worked in various countries and is fluent in English, Italian and Polish.
In her current role, Dorota is responsible for providing technical support and expertise to an international audience in Aviation Security through design and delivery of training. She is a pro-active collaborator on various CAAi projects. Currently this includes a three-year research project for EASA on the Impact of Security measures on Safety, ICAO Security Culture and DfT ASTEM framework.
In her previous role, Dorota worked for Ryanair for 16 years in various roles. This included Safety and Emergency Procedures Instructor, Senior Examiner and Quality Assurer for security training. She has been responsible for safety and security training to cabin crew, flight crew and Instructors. She has prepared security instructors for national certification both in the UK and Ireland. She has delivered training for Ryanair in areas of Safety, Security, CRM, Dangerous Goods, First Aid and Survival.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. What’s more, we have applied a 5% discount on our virtual course. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.