Training and Instructional Techniques
3-day course | Classroom & In-company training
- Classroom courses in London Gatwick
- Explore the basics of the design, delivery and evaluation of effective training.
- Understand the requirements and responsibilities of the training role
- Develop skills that add value to an organisation’s training programme
What are Training and Instructional Techniques?
Training and Instructional Techniques aims to develop the professional trainer skillset, including assessing business and individual learning and development needs, planning training according to organisation objectives, preparing learning and development with a brain-friendly 70:20:10 approach, delivering engaging and memorable events, developing delegates’ knowledge, skills and attitudes, evaluating training behaviour change and ROI and presenting and facilitating effective events.
The aim of the course is to provide delegates with the opportunity to learn the theoretical elements of effective training and demonstrate practical methods for enhancing delegate learning.
This course is suitable for the aspiring trainer, the new trainer and anyone interested in brushing up the basics of the design, delivery and evaluation of effective training.
This training course will include the following topics:
- All about you
How you think about and present yourself as a learning and development professional, begin to deal with nerves and develop confidence
- The role of the trainer
Why organisations train
Barriers to training
Coaching and mentoring
- About learning and learners
Why and how adults learn
Identifying trainee needs
- Designing and preparing training
Structuring the beginning, middle and end
Mind mapping ideas and prioritising material
Training methods, visual aids and training room layout
- Delivering training
Developing the essential trainer toolkit:
Public speaking and presentation skills
Dealing with people
- Facilitating training
- Practical: Design and deliver a short training session
Delegates deliver their own short training presentations
Reflection, discussion and shared peer group and tutor feedback
- Evaluating training
How to evaluate the effectiveness of training at four essential levels
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- The training cycle
- How to conduct learning needs analysis
- How to evaluate at four levels
- Methods for developing and constructing a training session
- The design and use of a visual aid
- Exercises for developing a confident and effective voice and body language
- A short training session
- Reflection on your own performance
- Feedback on observed sessions
There are no formal qualifications required.
Meet your Instructors
Di joined the CAA in 2012 and is an Aviation Security Compliance Auditor working in the Security Management Systems (SeMS) team. She has played a fundamental role in the development of SeMS and is working on progressing the CAA approach to Performance Based Oversight in the Aviation Security sector. Diane brings a wealth of experience, including border security, investigative interviewing and people development. She has previously delivered technical and soft skills training on behalf of CAA International, both internationally and in the UK.
Philippa served 25 years as a frontline Immigration Officer, Learning and Development Officer and Manager with the Home Office UK Border Agency at Gatwick Airport. She is now an independent learning and development consultant, actor and voice artist, specialising in training and coaching Train the Trainer, Confident Public Speaking, Leadership and Employability essentials. Her bid won CAAi the contract to design a new 2019 Training And Instructional Techniques programme, which she delivered to EASA subject matter experts in Cologne. She brings a practical, brain-friendly, 70:20:10 approach to her events, dedicated to developing her delegates' confidence, knowledge and skill for leadership and management, training and business.
This course can only be attended in-person at one of our training venues. At present, this course is not delivered virtually online.
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
If you can’t see an upcoming course date, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
Other courses you might be interested in
Introduction to International Air Law
Civil aviation simply couldn’t exist without the framework of international and national air laws that govern the ways we work. So what are these international agreements, and how do they affect your work every day? In this International Air Law course, you’ll find out.