Managing Insider Risks
2-day course | Classroom & In-company training
- Designed and delivered by UK CAA Aviation Security experts
- Explores the threat posed by insider activity through the use of case studies
- Provides practical techniques for identifying and managing insider risks
What are Insider Risks?
An ‘insider’ is a person who exploits, or has intention to exploit, their role for unauthorised purposes. They may be full or part‐time permanent employees, individuals on attachment or secondment, contractors, consultants, agency staff or temporary staff. Correspondingly, an ‘insider risk’ refers to the possibility of an insider exploiting or intending to exploit their role for unauthorised purposes.
This course gives delegates an understanding of the potential threat posed by insider activity and how to manage insider-related vulnerabilities. The course will explore how the use of insiders has been exploited by those with malicious intent in the past and how both physical and personnel security measures have evolved to counter the threat. The course will draw on a number of expert sources to define key terminology and equip delegates with strategies and tools to identify and manage risks in a proportionate and sustainable manner.
This course is suitable for individuals from National Aviation Authorities, government and industry who are responsible for implementation and oversight of aviation security regimes. In addition, those with responsibility for recruitment, vetting and other aspects of personnel in civil aviation should attend.
- Delegates will learn about the relevant regulatory requirements in the UK, Europe and internationally.
- Delegates will undertake a risk assessment of typical civil aviation roles.
- Delegates will discuss ongoing personnel security methods to assist in identifying insider behaviour.
- The course will provide delegates with an opportunity to discuss with UK Subject Matter Experts how insider-related threats can be mitigated.
On completing the course delegates will demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- The concept of insider risks and the possible threat posed to civil aviation by insider-related activity.
- An appreciation of how insiders have successfully been used in the past.
- The process for assessing the risks posed by insider-related activity.
- The strategies and tools available to manage the threat posed.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Meet your Instructors
Dorota Broom joined CAA International in June 2022 as Technical Advisor for Aviation Security. She is a DfT certified Aviation Security Instructor with 16 years’ experience in the industry. Dorota believes passionately that sharing the understanding of Human Factors and promoting Security Culture can improve the standard of aviation security worldwide. She has lived and worked in various countries and is fluent in English, Italian and Polish.
In her current role, Dorota is responsible for providing technical support and expertise to an international audience in Aviation Security through design and delivery of training. She is a pro-active collaborator on various CAAi projects. Currently this includes a three-year research project for EASA on the Impact of Security measures on Safety, ICAO Security Culture and DfT ASTEM framework.
In her previous role, Dorota worked for Ryanair for 16 years in various roles. This included Safety and Emergency Procedures Instructor, Senior Examiner and Quality Assurer for security training. She has been responsible for safety and security training to cabin crew, flight crew and Instructors. She has prepared security instructors for national certification both in the UK and Ireland. She has delivered training for Ryanair in areas of Safety, Security, CRM, Dangerous Goods, First Aid and Survival.
This course can only be attended in-person at one of our training venues. At present, this course is not delivered virtually online.
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
If you can’t see an upcoming course date, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
No reviews yet