Introduction to Safety
4-hour course | Virtual Training
- Learn what a Safety Management Systems is
- Examine how to apply SMS principles into the working environment
- Explore the benefits of the SMS and the importance of a positive safety culture
What is a Safety Management System?
A Safety Management System (SMS) within any aviation organisation provides a systematic approach to managing safety. For an SMS to be effective, there must be the necessary organisational structures, accountabilities, responsibilities, policies and procedures. An effective SMS should enable an organisation to identify hazards, assess risks and can be the mechanism to continuously improve safety performance.
If you work in aviation, it is likely that you have heard of Safety Management Systems (SMS). However, are you really clear on what a SMS is and what is expected of you? This course provides delegates with an introductory knowledge of safety management principle and the concepts for Safety Management Systems (SMS). It is based on ICAO, EASA and CAA regulations and guidance material.
This course is suitable for individuals working in the aviation industry who require an introduction to Safety Management Systems to fulfill their role in contributing to safety.
This training course will include the following topics:
- The meaning of safety and common definitions
- SMS in simple terms
- Benefits of having an effective SMS
- Roles and responsibilities in the SMS
- Safety risk management in practice
- Safety culture and safety reporting
The course will be delivered by the UK CAA’s SMS experts through presentation, videos and group discussions.
By the end of this course delegates will demonstrate an understanding of the following:
- Safety management principles and how to apply them into their working environment
- The value and benefits of an organisation having a SMS in place
- The benefits of an SMS on the individual and their own safety and performance
- The importance of a positive safety culture
- The importance of a reporting system and how it can be used to improve safety
- Safety risk management at an individual and organisational level
Delegates should be familiar with the aviation environment in the context of safety.
Meet your Instructors
This course can only be attended virtually online. At present, this course is not delivered in-person at one of our training venues.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses.
If you can’t see an upcoming course date, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
UK CAA CAP 795 Safety Management Systems (SMS) Guidance for Organisations
This document provides guidance on the implementation of Safety Management Systems (SMS). It has been developed to give sufficient understanding of SMS concepts to implement and maintain an effective SMS. It reflects and meets the requirements of ICAO Annex 19 and EASA Management System Implementing Rules.
ICAO Safety Management Manual (SMM)
Provide Member States with guidance on the development and implementation of a State Safety Programme (SSP), in accordance with the International Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs)
ICAO Annex 19 “Safety Management”
ICAO Annex 19 was published in 2013 and outlines the safety management responsibilities of Member States, service providers within those States, and international general aviation operators conducting operations of large or turbojet airplanes.
No reviews yet
Other courses you might be interested in
Risk Monitoring & Safety Performance
This course provides delegates with a context of how risk monitoring and safety performance form a key part of an aviation Safety Management System. Delegates will gain knowledge and understanding of how to identify hazards and build a suitable knowledge base for risk and safety performance monitoring.
Safety Management (Advanced) – Evaluating Effectiveness
In this advanced course, delegates will develop the skills and knowledge to competently evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s SMS. This course draws on the ICAO SMS Framework, EASA OR.GEN.200 Rules and UK CAA SMS Guidance Material, along with case studies, experiences and observations from the UK CAA’s current oversight activities.