Risk Monitoring & Safety Performance
2-day course | Classroom, Virtual & In-company training
- Classroom courses in London Gatwick
- Designed and delivered by UK CAA regulators
- Identify and risk assess safety issues to monitor system performance
- Understand how risk monitoring is a key to a Safety Management System
What is Risk Monitoring and Safety Performance?
Risk monitoring and safety performance in aviation involve continuous assessment, analysis, and improvement of safety practices within the industry. It entails the systematic collection and analysis of data related to incidents, accidents, and near-misses, as well as the identification of emerging risks and trends. By monitoring safety indicators and performance metrics, such as accident rates, maintenance records, and pilot training, aviation organisations can proactively identify areas of concern and take appropriate measures to mitigate risks. Safety performance monitoring involves setting benchmarks, evaluating compliance with regulations and standards, and implementing corrective actions to maintain and enhance safety levels. Through effective risk monitoring and safety performance initiatives, the aviation industry strives to ensure a robust safety culture, prevent accidents, and continuously improve safety practices.
This course provides delegates with a context of how risk monitoring and safety performance form a key part of an aviation Safety Management System (SMS).
Delegates will gain knowledge and understanding of how to identify hazards and build a suitable knowledge base for risk and safety performance monitoring. Giving guidance on risk modelling and data analysis, developing and presenting Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs), and explain how they form an integral part of an SMS.
This course is suitable for anyone who requires a generic overview of risk monitoring, safety performance and risk classification and modelling in the aviation context.
This training course will include the following topics:
- Risk monitoring and safety performance as part of a Safety Management System and State Safety Programme
- Understanding and identifying hazards
- Building a knowledge base for safety risk management
- Risk assessment methods
- Risk modelling
Introduction to safety performance indicators
- Safety performance analysis techniques
- Presenting safety performance indicators
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to demonstrate knowledge of:
- The role of safety performance and risk monitoring in an aviation SMS
- The need for an appropriate taxonomy to classify safety-related data
- How to identify and risk assess safety issues in order to monitor the safety performance of a system
- The fundamental principles of barrier risk modelling
- Analytical techniques used to produce Safety Performance Indicators to monitor trends and identify risks
- How to present Safety Performance Indicators
Delegates should have a basic knowledge of Safety Management Systems gained through operational experience or through attendance of the SMS Principles & Application course.
Meet your Instructors
Sergio has more than 15 years of experience working in the aviation industry. He started as a cabin crew for GB Airways and soon after became an instructor delivering all aspects of Safety and Emergency Procedures, Dangerous Goods and First Aid. When GB Airways was acquired by easyJet Sergio joined the easyJet’s Cabin Safety Team and became a Cabin Safety Officer and then a Cabin Safety Coordinator. He was in the role for almost 10 years conducting Mandatory Occurrence Reports investigations for the entire easyJet network and was also responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the cabin crew procedures. Sergio is currently working for the UK CAA as a Safety Intelligence Lead. His responsibilities include data analysis from all different sources of data, that will help to identify industry risks.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
UK CAA CAP 795 Safety Management Systems (SMS) Guidance for Organisations
This document provides guidance on the implementation of Safety Management Systems (SMS). It has been developed to give sufficient understanding of SMS concepts to implement and maintain an effective SMS. It reflects and meets the requirements of ICAO Annex 19 and EASA Management System Implementing Rules.
Other courses you might be interested in
Safety Management (Advanced) – Evaluating Effectiveness
In our Safety Management Systems (SMS) Principles and Applications course, you will have learnt how to implement and assess a basic SMS. Building on those foundations, in this advanced course, you will develop the skills and knowledge to competently evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s SMS.