FSTD Qualification & Operation
3-day course | Classroom & In-company training, or
4-day course | Virtual training (4.5 hour daily sessions)
- Classroom courses at London Gatwick
- Explore all aspects of FSTD operation and regulatory oversight
- Examine Qualification Test Guides, validation tests, FSTD data sources, the Validation
|Start Date||End Date||Venue||Price (Excl. VAT)||Availability||Book|
|13/02/2024||15/02/2024||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||Fully booked||Book|
|20/05/2024||23/05/2024||Online||£1,420.00||5 places remaining||Book|
|21/10/2024||24/10/2024||Online||£1,420.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|10/02/2025||12/02/2025||London Gatwick||£1,420.00||More than 5 places||Book|
What is a Flight Simulation Training Device?
A flight simulation training device is a virtual system used to train pilots and simulate flight experiences. It is designed to replicate the cockpit environment and various flight conditions, enabling pilots to practice and enhance their skills in a safe and controlled environment. These devices can range from basic desktop simulators to advanced full-motion simulators that provide a realistic flying experience. They allow pilots to practice maneuvers, emergency procedures, and flight operations without the need for an actual aircraft, which can be costly and risky for training purposes. Flight simulation training devices are also used for pilot certification, proficiency checks, and recurrent training, making them an essential tool in the aviation industry.
This course provides an introduction to the EU requirements governing the qualification of FSTDs and their ongoing operation. The responsibilities of the National Aviation Authority (NAA) with regard to oversight procedures and NAA standardisation are covered, as well as the requirements applicable to the operator for FSTD qualification. The course covers all aspects of the fixed wing and rotary wing FSTD evaluation process and Compliance Monitoring System audits. All types of FSTD are covered, from the generic Flight Navigation Procedural Trainer (FNPT) through to the fully type-specific Full Flight Simulator (FFS).
This course covers all aspects of FSTD operation and regulatory oversight. It is targeted at individuals and organisations that are involved in, or have an interest in FSTD design, manufacture, usage or operation, and oversight.
This training course will include the following topics:
- The structure and content of the EU regulations as they apply to FSTD qualification
- NAA responsibilities and FSTD operator responsibilities
- CMS documentation and procedures, the FSTD CMS lifecycle
- Fixed wing and rotary aircraft FSTDs, the requirements for each type and the levels of qualification, training considerations
- Initial, recurrent and special evaluations, the evaluation team, the conduct of an evaluation, the objective evaluation process, the subjective evaluation process
- The structure and content of a QTG, validation tests, FSTD data sources, the Validation Data Roadmap, the Master QTG (MQTG) and MQTG approval
By the end of this course delegates will have an understanding of the following, through presentations and facilitated exercises, and be able to competently apply judgement against:
- Regulatory requirements: how these govern the qualification and operation of FSTD and how to assess
- Compliance Monitoring Systems (CMS): the essential elements of an effective CMS for FSTD operation
- The different FSTD types and levels of qualification
- The FSTD evaluation process
- The content of a Qualification Test Guide (QTG)
It would be beneficial for attendees to have some exposure to, or experience of the operation of Flight Simulation Training Devices.
Meet your Instructors
Andrew worked for a major Flight Simulation Training Device (FSTD) manufacturer over 20 years, where he acquired extensive experience in the areas of FSTD software design, development, integration and testing. He also worked as project engineer for several years and, latterly, as platform lead engineer responsible for configuration control across all FSTDs for specific aircraft types, controlling simulation baselines and providing FSTD evaluation support internally, to FSTD end users and to regulators. Over 10 years, Andrew has been working as an accredited technical inspector carrying out FSTD technical evaluations and operator management system audits on behalf of the UK CAA nationally, and EASA internationally.
Keith has been working for the major flight simulation training device (FSTD) manufacturer over 20 years. His experience includes the FSTD software design, development, integration and testing. Keith was also working for several years as a platform lead engineer and, latterly, as baseline manager responsible for configuration control across all FSTDs for specific aircraft types, controlling simulation baselines, providing FSTD evaluation support internally and defining technical specifications to FSTD’s end users and also to regulators. Keith also has over 7 years of experience as a performance engineer working for major aircraft and aerospace equipment manufacturers. Over the past 4 years, Keith has been working as an accredited technical inspector carrying out FSTD technical evaluations and operator management system audits on behalf of the UK CAA nationally, and EASA internationally.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.