FSTD Qualification & Operation
3-day course | Classroom & In-company
4.5 hour sessions over 4-day course | Virtual
- Classroom course in London Gatwick
- In-depth course covering all aspects of FSTD operation and regulatory oversight
- Explore Qualification Test Guides, validation tests, FSTD data sources, the Validation
- Data Roadmap, the Master QT and MQTG approval
What is flight simulation?
Flight Simulation is the technique of using software modelling to reproduce the handling, performance and systems operation of a particular aircraft type or class. The software models typically run in “real time” and are normally integrated with a simulation of the real world environment and a functioning reproduction of the aircraft flight deck.
This course provides an introduction to the EU requirements governing the qualification of FSTDs and their ongoing operation. The responsibilities of the National Aviation Authority (NAA) with regard to oversight procedures and NAA standardisation are covered, as well as the requirements applicable to the operator for FSTD qualification. The course all covers all aspects of the fixed wing and rotary wing FSTD evaluation process and Compliance Monitoring System audits. All types of FSTD are covered, from the generic Flight Navigation Procedural Trainer (FNPT) through to the fully type-specific Full Flight Simulator (FFS).
This course covers all aspects of FSTD operation and regulatory oversight. It is targeted at individuals and organisations that are involved in, or have an interest in FSTD design, manufacture, usage or operation, and oversight.
This training course will include the following topics:
- The structure and content of the EU regulations as they apply to FSTD qualification
- NAA responsibilities and FSTD operator responsibilities
- CMS documentation and procedures, the FSTD CMS lifecycle
- Fixed wing and rotary aircraft FSTDs, the requirements for each type and the levels of qualification, training considerations
- Initial, recurrent and special evaluations, the evaluation team, the conduct of an evaluation, the objective evaluation process, the subjective evaluation process
- The structure and content of a QTG, validation tests, FSTD data sources, the Validation Data Roadmap, the Master QTG (MQTG) and MQTG approval
By the end of this course delegates will have an understanding of the following, through presentations and facilitated exercises, and be able to competently apply judgement against:
- Regulatory requirements: how these govern the qualification and operation of FSTD and how to assess
- Compliance Monitoring Systems (CMS): the essential elements of an effective CMS for FSTD operation
- The different FSTD types and levels of qualification
- The FSTD evaluation process
- The content of a Qualification Test Guide (QTG)
It would be beneficial for attendees to have some exposure to, or experience of the operation of Flight Simulation Training Devices.
This course can delivered virtually or face-to-face in classroom at our London Gatwick training centre.
Browse the table below to select your preferred date, delivery method and location (classroom only). If you can not find your preferred form of delivery and date, please contact us.
- Web = Virtual online delivery using WebEx video conferencing. We have applied a 5% discount to all our virtual course deliveries. Unless stated otherwise, our virtual courses are streamed live, starting at 08:30 am (UK time).
- Class = A face-to-face classroom course delivered in the location listed in the “venue” column. In light of COVID-19, please check your eligibility and our COVID-19 measures.
Review of course
|Course Type||Course Name||Start Date||End Date||Venue||Cost||Availability||Book|
|Class||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Qualification & Operation||21/02/2022||23/02/2022||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Qualification & Operation||27/06/2022||30/06/2022||Online||£1,282.50||More than 5 places||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Qualification & Operation||31/10/2022||03/11/2022||Online||£1,282.50||More than 5 places||Book|
|Class||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Qualification & Operation||20/02/2023||22/02/2023||London Gatwick||£1,350.00||More than 5 places||Book|
FSTD Qualification & Operation Instructors
Andrew worked for a major Flight Simulation Training Device (FSTD) manufacturer over 20 years, where he acquired extensive experience in the areas of FSTD software design, development, integration and testing. He also worked as project engineer for several years and, latterly, as platform lead engineer responsible for configuration control across all FSTDs for specific aircraft types, controlling simulation baselines and providing FSTD evaluation support internally, to FSTD end users and to regulators. Over 10 years, Andrew has been working as an accredited technical inspector carrying out FSTD technical evaluations and operator management system audits on behalf of the UK CAA nationally, and EASA internationally.
Keith has been working for the major flight simulation training device (FSTD) manufacturer over 20 years. His experience includes the FSTD software design, development, integration and testing. Keith was also working for several years as a platform lead engineer and, latterly, as baseline manager responsible for configuration control across all FSTDs for specific aircraft types, controlling simulation baselines, providing FSTD evaluation support internally and defining technical specifications to FSTD’s end users and also to regulators. Keith also has over 7 years of experience as a performance engineer working for major aircraft and aerospace equipment manufacturers. Over the past 4 years, Keith has been working as an accredited technical inspector carrying out FSTD technical evaluations and operator management system audits on behalf of the UK CAA nationally, and EASA internationally.