FSTD Capability Signature
5 hour sessions over 3- day course | Virtual & In-company
- Introduces new FSTD Capability Signature approach to FSTD accreditation and associated training credits.
- Provides an introduction to the philosophy established in ICAO 9625
- Explores EASA NPA 2020-15
What is flight simulation?
Flight Simulation is the technique of using software modelling to reproduce the handling, performance and systems operation of a particular aircraft type or class. The software models typically run in “real time” and are normally integrated with a simulation of the real world environment and a functioning reproduction of the aircraft flight deck.
This course provides an introduction to the philosophy established in ICAO 9625 Manual of Criteria for the Qualification of Flight Simulation Training Devices Volume I that matches training/training to proficiency tasks for all license training types to 12 FSTD features and 4 feature fidelity levels for fixed wing aircraft. The application of this ICAO 9625 philosophy as described in EASA NPA 2020-15, Update of the Flight Simulation Training Device (FSTD) requirements, introduces a paradigm shift into the regulatory framework for initial (Flight Crew Licensing (FCL)) and recurrent (Air Operations (OPS)) pilot training.
The mapping of this proposed new FSTD Capability Signature (FCS) qualification process covering FSTD general requirements, statements of compliance, objective testing and functional subjective testing is described as well as the requirements applicable to the National Aviation Authorities and FSTD operators for FSTD qualification.
This course introduces this new FCS approach to FSTD accreditation and associated training credits. It is targeted at individuals and organisations that are involved in, or have an interest in FSTD design, manufacture, usage or operation, and oversight.
This training course will include the following topics:
- The content of the EASA NPA-2020-15 draft regulations as they apply to FSTD qualification
- Establishing the FCS for an FSTD and resulting FSTD QTG
- Updated FSTD evaluation reports and FSTD qualification certificate based on the FCS
- NAA and FSTD operator/user implications
By the end of this course delegates will have an understanding, through presentations and facilitated discussion, of the following related to ICAO 9625, EASA NPA 2020-15 and the FCS approach:
- Understanding of ICAO 9625 core philosophy linking training tasks to FSTD features and fidelity levels.
- Part FCL updates relating to FCS requirements for fixed wing type rating and recurrent training
- CS FSTD (A) issue 3 draft differences compared to CS FSTD(A) issue 2 for fixed wing aircraft
- Part ARA updates relating to the new FSTD evaluation report and FSTD qualification certificate templates.
- Part ORA updates related to the newly mandated operator declared FSTD Equipment Specification List (ESL)
- Potential future applications of the FCS approach to rotary wing FSTDs and new technologies such as VR/AR.
Delegates will be expected to have a top level understanding of the content of the current EU Aircrew Regulation Part-ARA & Part-ORA as applicable to FSTDs, and the associated EASA Certification Specifications, CS-FSTD(A) & CS-FSTD(H).
Delegates will be expected to download and review the material supplied in advance of the course.
This course can delivered virtually.
Browse the table below to select your preferred date. If you can not find your preferred form of delivery and date, please contact us.
- Web = Virtual online delivery using WebEx video conferencing. We have applied a 5% discount to all our virtual course deliveries. Unless stated otherwise, our virtual courses are streamed live, starting at 08:00 am (UK time).
Review of course
|Course Type||Course Name||Start Date||End Date||Venue||Cost||Availability||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Capability Signature (Virtual)||22/06/2021||24/06/2021||Online||£855.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Capability Signature (Virtual)||20/07/2021||22/07/2021||Online||£855.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Capability Signature (Virtual)||28/09/2021||30/09/2021||Online||£855.00||More than 5 places||Book|
|Web||Flight Simulation Training Devices (FSTD) - Capability Signature (Virtual)||16/11/2021||18/11/2021||Online||£855.00||More than 5 places||Book|
FSTD Capability Signature Instructor
Mark is an independent FSTD regulatory consultant, based out of the UK, specialising in the evaluation and qualification of FSTDs in accordance with the latest regulatory frameworks around the world. As such he is involved in various industry rule-making activities within the regulatory agencies concerned with flight crew training, including EASA with whom he is registered as an independent FSTD subject matter expert.
Previously Mark spent 20 years in the Training Device Manufacturer (TDM) side of the industry in various engineering and senior management positions where he covered most aspects of commercial flight simulator engineering, production, evaluation, qualification, customer support and strategic business development. In addition, Mark spent 3 years as UK CAA Simulator Standards Manager responsible for managing the regulatory oversight of all FSTD Qualifications within the UK, and on behalf of the JAA. He also co-chaired the International Working Group responsible for the production and update of ICAO doc 9625 Manual of Criteria for the Qualification of FSTDs.
Mark holds a BSc (Hons) degree in Aeronautical Engineering from London University, is a registered Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and winner of the ARINC FSEMC Edwin A Link Award for his vision and services to the flight simulation industry.