FSTD Capability Signature
3-day course | Virtual (5-hour sessions) & In-company training
- Explore the new FSTD Capability Signature approach to FSTD accreditation and associated training credits.
- Examine the philosophy established in ICAO 9625
What is a Flight Simulation Training Device?
A flight simulation training device is a virtual system used to train pilots and simulate flight experiences. It is designed to replicate the cockpit environment and various flight conditions, enabling pilots to practice and enhance their skills in a safe and controlled environment. These devices can range from basic desktop simulators to advanced full-motion simulators that provide a realistic flying experience. They allow pilots to practice maneuvers, emergency procedures, and flight operations without the need for an actual aircraft, which can be costly and risky for training purposes. Flight simulation training devices are also used for pilot certification, proficiency checks, and recurrent training, making them an essential tool in the aviation industry.
This course provides an introduction to the philosophy established in ICAO 9625 Manual of Criteria for the Qualification of Flight Simulation Training Devices Volume I that matches training/training to proficiency tasks for all license training types to 12 FSTD features and 4 feature fidelity levels for fixed wing aircraft. The application of this ICAO 9625 philosophy as described in EASA NPA 2020-15, Update of the Flight Simulation Training Device (FSTD) requirements, introduces a paradigm shift into the regulatory framework for initial (Flight Crew Licensing (FCL)) and recurrent (Air Operations (OPS)) pilot training.
The mapping of this proposed new FSTD Capability Signature (FCS) qualification process covering FSTD general requirements, statements of compliance, objective testing and functional subjective testing is described as well as the requirements applicable to the National Aviation Authorities and FSTD operators for FSTD qualification.
This course introduces this new FCS approach to FSTD accreditation and associated training credits. It is targeted at individuals and organisations that are involved in, or have an interest in FSTD design, manufacture, usage or operation, and oversight.
This training course will include the following topics:
- The content of the EASA NPA-2020-15 draft regulations as they apply to FSTD qualification
- Establishing the FCS for an FSTD and resulting FSTD QTG
- Updated FSTD evaluation reports and FSTD qualification certificate based on the FCS
- NAA and FSTD operator/user implications
By the end of this course delegates will have an understanding, through presentations and facilitated discussion, of the following related to ICAO 9625, EASA NPA 2020-15 and the FCS approach:
- Understanding of ICAO 9625 core philosophy linking training tasks to FSTD features and fidelity levels.
- Part FCL updates relating to FCS requirements for fixed wing type rating and recurrent training
- CS FSTD (A) issue 3 draft differences compared to CS FSTD(A) issue 2 for fixed wing aircraft
- Part ARA updates relating to the new FSTD evaluation report and FSTD qualification certificate templates.
- Part ORA updates related to the newly mandated operator declared FSTD Equipment Specification List (ESL)
- Potential future applications of the FCS approach to rotary wing FSTDs and new technologies such as VR/AR.
Delegates will be expected to have a top level understanding of the content of the current EU Aircrew Regulation Part-ARA & Part-ORA as applicable to FSTDs, and the associated EASA Certification Specifications, CS-FSTD(A) & CS-FSTD(H).
Meet your Instructors
Mark is an independent FSTD regulatory consultant, based out of the UK, specialising in the evaluation and qualification of FSTDs in accordance with the latest regulatory frameworks around the world. As such he is involved in various industry rule-making activities within the regulatory agencies concerned with flight crew training, including EASA with whom he is registered as an independent FSTD subject matter expert.
Previously Mark spent 20 years in the Training Device Manufacturer (TDM) side of the industry in various engineering and senior management positions where he covered most aspects of commercial flight simulator engineering, production, evaluation, qualification, customer support and strategic business development. In addition, Mark spent 3 years as UK CAA Simulator Standards Manager responsible for managing the regulatory oversight of all FSTD Qualifications within the UK, and on behalf of the JAA. He also co-chaired the International Working Group responsible for the production and update of ICAO doc 9625 Manual of Criteria for the Qualification of FSTDs.
Mark holds a BSc (Hons) degree in Aeronautical Engineering from London University, is a registered Chartered Engineer, Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and winner of the ARINC FSEMC Edwin A Link Award for his vision and services to the flight simulation industry.
This course can only be attended virtually online. At present, this course is not delivered in-person at one of our training venues.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses.
If you can’t see an upcoming course date, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. What’s more, we have applied a 5% discount on our virtual course. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
Delegates will be expected to download and review the material supplied in advance of the course.
Other courses you might be interested in
FSTD Qualification & Operation
This course provides an introduction to the EU requirements governing the qualification of FSTDs and their ongoing operation. The responsibilities of the National Aviation Authority (NAA) with regard to oversight procedures and NAA standardisation are covered, as well as the requirements applicable to the operator for FSTD qualification.