Just Culture in Aviation Safety
1-day course | Virtual, Classroom & In-company Delivery
- Classroom course in London Gatwick
- Developed by active UK CAA regulators
- Examine Just Culture models and tools
- Learn how to develop and sustain a Just Culture
What is Just Culture?
Just Culture is a culture in which front line operators or other persons are not punished for actions, omissions, or decisions taken by them, that are commensurate with their experience and training, but in which gross negligence, wilful violations and destructive acts are not tolerated.
This course has been specifically developed to clarify why Just Culture is important to safety management and to consider not only theoretical aspects but practical approaches.
This course is applicable to all aviation functions and departments – especially Accountable Managers, Safety Managers, Quality Managers, Training Managers, Human Factor Specialists, EASA Form 4 Postholder and EASA Nominated Persons.
This training course will include the following modules:
- What is a Just Culture?
- The impact of organisational culture on safety performance
- Just, reporting, informed and learning cultures as part of a developing safety culture
- Legislation, guidance and policies building trust
- Assessing and measuring Just Culture: determining culpability
- Just Culture and safety improvement
By the end of this course delegates will demonstrate understanding of the following through presentations and facilitated discussion:
- What a Just Culture is and how it fits into safety culture of an organisation
- Just Culture models and tools
- Role of the Regulator in applying a Just Culture
- How to develop and sustain a Just Culture
- Be more aware of the benefits from having a Just Culture
No pre-course preparation is required.
This course can be delivered virtually or face-to-face in classroom at our London Gatwick training centre.
Browse the table below to select your preferred date, delivery method and location (classroom only). If you can not find your preferred form of delivery and date, please contact us.
- Web = Virtual online delivery using WebEx video conferencing. We have applied a 5% discount to all our virtual course deliveries. Unless stated otherwise, our virtual courses are streamed live, starting at 09:00 am (UK time).
- Class = A face-to-face classroom course delivered in the location listed in the “venue” column. In light of COVID-19, please check your eligibility and our COVID-19 measures.
The UK CAA is committed to raising aviation standards internationally through capacity building programmes and training courses provided by CAAi.
Our courses are designed to promote best practice in aviation safety in accordance with EASA regulations and ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices. For UK based delegates/organisations, who are regulated by the UK Civil Aviation Authority, the courses may provide useful insights and learning opportunities, however, attendance is not compulsory in order to gain any approvals. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What the expert says
Review of course
Just Culture in Aviation Safety Instructors
Sean has over 25 year’s regulatory experience with the UK CAA across several technical disciplines. He is specialising in safety reporting and performance based regulation. As the Head of the UK CAA Safety Data Department between 2010 and 2014 he was directly involved with the drafting of EC 376/2014 as the UK specialist supporting the Council of the European Union. This European regulation mandates Just Culture as part of safety occurrence reporting processes in aviation. Prior to various roles within the Airworthiness Division of the UK CAA Sean worked in the UK and Malaysia for Bristow Helicopters and British Airways.