Accountable Manager – Security Management System (SeMS)
1-day course | Classroom, Virtual & In-company training
- Learn to carry out a practical assessment of a SeMS
- Explore how the role of Accountable Manager can be used to support a positive security culture
- Master the practical assessment and management of SeMS
What is a SeMS Accountable Manager?
The Accountable Manager for SeMS is accountable and responsible for the overall management of the Security Management System, including senior oversight and the effective management of aviation security risks, as outlined in CAP 1224.
This 1-day course will provide a high level overview of the principles of a Security Management System, outline the role of the Accountable Manager and illustrate how implementing a SeMS will help maintain the integrity of aviation security within entities responsible for managing their own security risks.
This course covers all areas of the Accountable Manager, alongside Security Culture and Human Factors.
This course is suitable for and will support all SeMS Accountable Managers across the aviation community, from organisations of all size, across all aviation modes.
This course will also provide support and guidance to International delegates who wish to understand the UK SeMS at this senior level.
By the end of this course, through presentation and interactive discussion delegates will demonstrate:
- Greater understanding of the Accountable Manager role and how they affect the development and maturity of a SeMS in an aviation security context
- Understanding of how to approach the role of Accountable Manager within an organisation
- Capability to carry out practical assessment and management of SeMS from an Accountable Manager perspective
- Understanding how the role of Accountable Manager can be used to support a positive security culture
- A broad knowledge of best practice across industry relating to this subject
- Role, responsibilities, and legal implication
- The principles of a Security Management System
- Management and Structures
- Oversight of effective Risk Management using SeMS
- Best Practice and Quality Assurance
- Continuous Improvement and ongoing maintenance
- Data capture and reporting
- Embedding a positive security culture
No pre-requisites for this course.
Meet your Instructors
Adam has started working for the UK CAA in 2014 as a security compliance auditor. He is currently part of the UK CAA Security Management System (SeMS) leadership team. He has been participating in the continued roll out of the SeMS in the UK and a performance-based oversight approach for the UK CAA. Adam has also taken great part in writing the SeMS specific training and Aviation Security training. He has been delivering security trainings in the UK and internationally.
Di joined the CAA in 2012 and is an Aviation Security Compliance Auditor working in the Security Management Systems (SeMS) team. She has played a fundamental role in the development of SeMS and is working on progressing the CAA approach to Performance Based Oversight in the Aviation Security sector. Diane brings a wealth of experience, including border security, investigative interviewing and people development. She has previously delivered technical and soft skills training on behalf of CAA International, both internationally and in the UK.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
We would encourage further familiarisation of SeMS guidance material issued and a detailed understanding of CAP 1224 which provides a note for Accountable Managers
- CAP 1223 SeMS Framework Document
- CAP 1273 Implementing Security Management Systems: an outline
- CAP 1297 Security Management System Frequently Asked Questions
- CAP 1997 Guidance for Small Organisations
- SeMS Entity self-assessment questionnaire – Gap Analysis
- Security Culture self-assessment tool
No reviews yet
Other courses you might be interested in
Managing Insider Risks
This course gives delegates an understanding of the potential threat posed by insider activity and how to manage insider-related vulnerabilities. The course will explore how the use of insiders has been exploited by those with malicious intent in the past and how both physical and personnel security measures have evolved to counter the threat.