Barrier Modelling in Aviation
1-day course | Classroom, Virtual & In-company training
- Classroom courses in London Gatwick
- Examine the concept of barrier modelling
- Learn how to create an effective barrier model
What is Barrier Modelling?
Barrier modelling is a visual way of presenting the possible causes that could lead to a hazard developing into an undesirable event. Barrier modelling presents the possible effects of this happening and the barriers that either reduce the likelihood of the event occurring, or reduce the impact of the event should it happen.
This course is designed to provide delegates with an overview of barrier modelling techniques and how they can be used to classify occurrences. Reference is made to ICAO Annex 13 (Amendment 17) which refers to the classification of serious incidents and how remaining barriers between the event and an undesirable outcome were left intact need to be considered.
Delegates will explore a series of techniques that can be applied to create barrier models together with best practice guidelines on how to structure and maintain a barrier model.
This course is suitable for anyone who requires a generic overview of barrier modelling in the aviation context.
This training course will include the following topics:
- Introduction to Barrier Models
- Barrier Model Applications
- Creating a Barrier Model
- Maintaining a Barrier Model
By the end of this course, delegates will demonstrate knowledge of the following through group discussion and syndicate exercises:
- Understand the concept of barrier modelling as outlined in ICAO Annex 13 Amendment 17
- Present an overview of different barrier modelling techniques (e.g. SIRA and Bowtie)
- The role of barrier modelling plays in risk management
- Best practice when creating an effective barrier model
- How barrier models can be used to create meaningful Safety Performance Indicators (SPIs)
Delegates should have a basic knowledge of Safety Management Systems.
Meet your Instructors
Sergio has more than 15 years of experience working in the aviation industry. He started as a cabin crew for GB Airways and soon after became an instructor delivering all aspects of Safety and Emergency Procedures, Dangerous Goods and First Aid. When GB Airways was acquired by easyJet Sergio joined the easyJet’s Cabin Safety Team and became a Cabin Safety Officer and then a Cabin Safety Coordinator. He was in the role for almost 10 years conducting Mandatory Occurrence Reports investigations for the entire easyJet network and was also responsible for the implementation and monitoring of the cabin crew procedures. Sergio is currently working for the UK CAA as a Safety Intelligence Lead. His responsibilities include data analysis from all different sources of data, that will help to identify industry risks.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. What’s more, we have applied a 5% discount on our virtual course. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
Other courses you might be interested in
Safety Management (Advanced) – Evaluating Effectiveness
In this advanced course, delegates will develop the skills and knowledge to competently evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s SMS. This course draws on the ICAO SMS Framework, EASA OR.GEN.200 Rules and UK CAA SMS Guidance Material, along with case studies, experiences and observations from the UK CAA’s current oversight activities.