What is Unmanned Aircraft Systems?
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) are a new and evolutionary component of the aviation system. UAS may also be referred to as Drones, Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS), Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), model aircraft or radio controlled aircraft. They all share the common characteristic that the person responsible for piloting the aircraft is not on board the aircraft.
This course provides delegates with an understanding of the regulatory framework associated with the operation of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS). Delegates will gain knowledge and an understanding of the evolving regulations and how they apply to leisure and commercial UAS operations. Delegates will explore guidance on the requirements, operational and technical aspects and the risk-based processes underpinning the application and granting of authorisations for UAS operations.
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to demonstrate knowledge of the following:
- The current and future regulatory system and how it impacts on UAS operations
- The role of rulemaking advisory groups
- The different types of UAS platform and why they are wanted
- Essential system elements and features
- The fundamental principles of UAS operation (VLOS, BVLOS)
- The fundamental elements of a safety case and the role of specific operational risk assessments
- An overview of future developments and their role in enhancing UAS operational safety
- An overview of the regulatory framework from ICAO to national and EASA regulation
- Development of regulations
- UAS platforms, their capabilities and deficiencies
- Accommodating UAS operations within the current aviation infrastructure
- Typical use cases
- The requirement for the operator to demonstrate flight safety and how this is achieved
- Implementation of technology to help control risks and hazards
- Provision of an environment for safe operation (u-space)
How to apply?
You can view, book and pay for our open access courses via our online booking system.
Alternatively, please contact our Training Team for more information.
T. +44 (0)330 0224401
Useful Regulatory Information
Dronesafe.uk is designed to help ensure that drone users in the UK can easily access the information they need about how to fly their drones safely and legally, without endangering others.
The ICAO UAS Toolkit
ICAO has published some helpful tools to assist States in realising effective UAS operational guidance and safe domestic operations.
EASA Regulatory Framework Background for Drones
The EASA development of the regulatory framework for operations in ‘certified’ category is planned for 2018 and 2019.
- Duration: 1-day course
- Locations: London Gatwick
- Price: £505.00 (VAT exclusive price)
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for anyone who requires a generic overview of the requirements surrounding UAS operations.
People also viewed
Introduction to Safety Management Systems
If you work in aviation, it is likely that you have heard of Safety Management Systems (SMS). However, are you really clear on what an SMS is and what is expected of you?
Advanced Safety Management – Evaluating Effectiveness
Develop the skills and knowledge to competently evaluate the effectiveness of an organisation’s Safety Management System.