CAAi has provided SSP assistance to a number of States including large, medium and small organisations. A collaborative approach between CAAi, the State and industry has been key to successfully identify areas of improvement.
The transition to a fully operational ICAO compliant SSP can take time, but with an appropriate SSP implementation action-plan and drive to succeed, this can be achievable within 2 to 4 years, enabling States to manage safety oversight in a more cost-effective manner with improved and measurable safety outcomes.
- Creating an environment where change is perceived essential to achieve improvements in safety performance.
- Empowerment of an Accountable Manager responsible for State safety.
- To follow guidance provided by ICAO
- Engage with the State to see how far they wish to build on the traditional ‘compliance-based’ approach to regulation and develop/implement a more ‘performance-based’ approach.
- Analyse a State’s compliance to SSP
- Develop an SSP as a management system for the management of safety by the State.
Implement the SSP to achieve an acceptable level of safety in civil aviation.
- Efforts to mitigate safety risks are targeted more effectively
- Response times for significant safety issues reduced
- Improved safety performance to help a State’s aviation industry mature, supporting
future economic growth and a State’s prosperity.
- Compliance with Annex 19