Safety Management Systems – Small Organisations
30 minutes e-Learning
- Understand the importance of a positive safety culture
- Explore key considerations when building/maintaining a simple SMS
- Appreciate how your SMS can contribute to the business
What is a Safety Management System?
A Safety Management System (SMS) within any aviation organisation provides a systematic approach to managing safety. For an SMS to be effective, there must be the necessary organisational structures, accountabilities, responsibilities, policies and procedures. An effective SMS should enable an organisation to identify hazards, assess risks and can be the mechanism to continuously improve safety performance.
In recognition of the challenges facing smaller organisations, a 30 minute e-learning course has been developed to cover the principles of a Safety Management System (SMS). The e-learning modules includes guidance to help you to build and maintain an effective SMS suitable for a small organisation in order to meet EASA requirements.
This course is suitable for those staff involved in the development and management of the SMS such as Safety Managers, Accountable Managers and Quality Management / Compliance Monitoring Managers within small complex and non-complex organisations. In addition, key managers and post-holders who play an important role in contributing to safety would benefit from following.
By the end of the course the delegates will demonstrate an understanding of how safety management is applied in a small organisation::
- The benefits of having an effective SMS and how this can contribute to the organisation’s business
- Things to consider in building and maintaining a simple safety management system
- The value of improving the safety culture of your organisation and the establishment of a just culture
Delegates should be familiar with the aviation environment.
UK CAA CAP 795 Safety Management Systems (SMS) Guidance for Organisations
This document provides guidance on the implementation of Safety Management Systems (SMS). It has been developed to give sufficient understanding of SMS concepts to implement and maintain an effective SMS. It reflects and meets the requirements of ICAO Annex 19 and EASA Management System Implementing Rules.
No reviews yet