Advisory Services > Environment > Aviation Noise
Unlike most other forms of pollution, noise depends not just on the physical aspects of sound itself, but more importantly, on the human reaction to it. This makes managing noise impacts a complex process.
Using current UK CAA regulators, we work with organisations to design, develop and implement effective noise management and noise modelling programmes compliant with ICAO requirements.
Working with Governments, airport operators, air navigation service providers and local authorities, help organisations design, develop and implement effective noise management programmes tailored to a country’s aviation system. Our assistance includes the development and implementation of:
- Balanced approach to Aircraft Noise Management and the discharging of duties
- Research and data generation for noise management strategies
- Noise management processes and measures for operational trials
- Studies on behalf of aerodromes or airlines to support all areas of operation, including modelling, task management and proposed changes to the operation
- Support the design and submission of airspace change proposals in line with environmental needs
- Support with the specification and installation of noise monitoring.
- Organisational design such as structure, resource, capability and pipeline to support environmental obligations
- National Policy development plans and roadmaps
- Evidence-based advice on changes to operations to reduce noise emissions.
Noise contour maps make it possible to identify how many people live in areas where there is significant annoyance from noise.
We specialise in developing contour maps to help organisations understand noise or projected noise around airports to support planning decision making. Our services help organisations;
- Meet local planning legalisation
- Meet European or national reporting laws/requirements
Our Environmental Research and Consultancy Department (ERCD) developed the UK’s civil aircraft noise contour model, ANCON – the UK’s internationally compliant national civil aircraft noise model. Using this powerful data modelling tool, we can assist Governments and operators in calculating noise exposure contours from aircraft movement, route, noise generation and sound propagation data and forecast the noise impact of new airports or existing airport developments and forecast the impact of changes to Air Traffic Operations.
In the UK, ANCON is used to generate the annual noise exposure contours for Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted. Other major airports are increasingly using the model, as well as airport operators who produce noise airport forecasts for airport development and air traffic operation change planning.
Guidance & Documentation
Environmental Impact Assessments play a key role to identify and evaluate the environmental impacts of infrastructure projects and suggest measures to mitigate these impacts.
We assist organisations on a wide range of guidance and documentation materials, including:
- Advice and recommendations on submitting EIA documentation relating to expansion programmes. This includes interaction and information gathering from 3rd parties to future state modelling and forecasting
- Review of submitted EIAs on behalf of a local authority and advice to understand the content and impact to support planning authorisation.
As an ICAO TRAINAIR PLUS corporate member, we provide extensive training for aviation professionals across the globe, covering all aspects of regulatory performance and compliance.
Based on UK, EASA, and ICAO international standards, our courses are quality assured by practising UK CAA Regulators – delivering training and professional development in a class of its own.
Our course specialisations include:
- Safety and Risk Management
- Design, Production and Maintenance
- Regulation, Compliance and Monitoring
- Airports, Air Traffic and Airspace
- Aviation Security
- Learning & Development
In addition to our open access course programme, we also deliver in-company and tailored training packages to suit an NAA’s exact requirements. Our training programmes focus on practical knowledge transfer using presentations, discussions, group exercises and practical application of theory to develop effective competencies, delivering results to individuals and organisations.
Get in touch
Speak to Sarah about this service