Understanding & Preparing for DAOS Surveillance
2-day course | Classroom, Virtual & In-company training
- Classroom courses in London Gatwick
- Delivered by experienced UK CAA inspectors
- Explore the relationship between the MAA and UK CAA
- Understand the differences between military and civil aviation processes
What is DAOS Surveillance?
DAOS surveillance refers to the monitoring and oversight of organisations that hold Design Approval Organisation Scheme (DAOS) within the aviation industry. DAOS is a regulatory designation given to organisations that have demonstrated the capability and competence to design and certify certain aspects of aircraft modifications, repairs, or equipment. DAOS surveillance involves the continuous assessment and evaluation of these organisations by the regulatory authorities to ensure compliance with established standards, regulations, and safety requirements. The surveillance process typically includes audits, inspections, document reviews, and interviews to assess the organisation’s design and certification processes, quality management systems, and overall compliance with applicable regulations. By conducting DAOS surveillance, regulatory authorities can maintain confidence in the capabilities and safety of organisations with DAOS status, ensuring the ongoing airworthiness and regulatory compliance of the aircraft modifications and repairs performed by these organisations.
This course provides delegates with an understanding of the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) Design Approved Organisations Scheme (DAOS), the relationship with the UK Civil Aviation Authority (UK CAA) and how to prepare for the audits.
This course is suitable for military and industry personnel who are required to work within the context of the DAOS Scheme and who are seeking an understanding of the latest 5000 Series – Type Airworthiness Engineering (TAE) Regulations and its integration with the other Military Requirement Publications.
This training course will include the following topics:
- DAOS Development and recent Changes
- Overview of the Military Design Lifecycle
- RA 5800 and the DAOS Requirements
- The supporting MAA Requirements
- Military Risk Management
- Overview of Supporting Defence Standards
- Preparing for DAOS Assessment and Surveillance
By the end of the course, delegates will be able to demonstrate the understanding of:
- The content of the RA 5800 series
- The extent of introduction of specific subparts of EMAR 21 into the UK military requirements
- The roles and responsibilities of organisations and personnel involved in DAOS compliance
- The CAA’s role in supporting MAA with regard to DAOS initial investigation and continued surveillance
- How to identify potential gaps against the standards within delegate’s own organisations, in readiness for initial assessment and surveillance audits
There are no formal qualifications required.
Meet your Instructors
Geoff has been working in the Military and Civil Aviation sectors for 38 years in the area of aviation Design and Production, and as an Airworthiness Regulator for the UK CAA. He has been conducting regulatory oversight of the aircraft Manufacturing and Design organisations on behalf of the UK CAA and Military Aviation Authority (MAA). Geoff is also a registered Professional Engineer and a Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE). Geoff has been presenting courses on the UK CAA and EASA regulatory requirements for 16 years. He brings his vast experience in the implementation and application of Civil and Military requirements to all courses that he delivers.
We offer two different ways to attend this course:
- Face-to-Face Classroom Course: Embrace the traditional learning method by attending our physical training venue. Benefit from direct interaction with our instructors and fellow participants, creating an immersive and hands-on learning experience. To book a classroom course, please check the booking table at the top of this page and select your preferred training venue location.
- Instructor-Led Virtual Course: Enjoy the flexibility of attending this training remotely from your home or office with our live virtual course. Engage in interactive learning from anywhere in the world. We usually use WebEx or Zoom for our virtual courses. To attend this course virtually, look for the ‘online’ venue option in the booking table above.
Please note that course durations may vary slightly between our face-to-face and virtual deliveries. Please refer to the start and end date of your chosen course.
Our goal is to offer flexible, effective and convenient course delivery methods that suit your preferences and learning needs. Please choose the option that works best for you!
If you can’t see a classroom or virtual option, we likely haven’t released the next set of dates. Please get in touch to find out when we’ll announce the new dates, and we’ll be sure to keep you informed once they are available or even add you to our waiting list.
UK Government Website: Design Approved Organisation Scheme (DAOS)
DAOS is the means by which the MOD can assess the competency of design organisations.
UK Government Website: 5000 series – Type airworthiness engineering regulations
Individual Regulatory Articles (RA) relating to the 5000 series.